March 2013 to July 2014: Four years as a Lion, and much involved in various fundraising activity, press officer, webmaster and unofficial club photographer, and out of the blue, club President designate Paul Brook asks me if I would be his Vice-President. This means I will be President from July 2014 after only five years as a member............following in some esteemed footsteps.
I feel surprised, honoured, but will I have sufficient gravitas to carry out the job effectively. Over the next year, and with many coffee shop conversations I conclude that I have, and hopefully we'll make some changes. I ask Mike Cropper if he will be my Vice-President, and he agrees. We keep this quiet for several months just to ensure Mike is on-board; Charles even decides to take on the role as Secretary, just to ensure that he and Mike can keep me in check.
President Paul holds his "Meet the President", a most enjoyable BBQ lunch in his garden, on a beautiful sunny Sunday. He says a few words, "this year will be all about fun and hard work, hard work and fun" Well I'm sure Paul had some fun, and I sure put some hard work in. However, Paul is omni-present during his year, and I'm not required to stand in once, but I do sit on Nigel's Membership committee, and join the first Community Service committee meeting under Chris Wallis's stewardship.
I am put in my place very swiftly when I question the defibrillator proposal outside the Bowls club, seems like a conflict of interest with Chris pushing it. Anyway we patch it up and I make a case to Chris over a coffee to ensure we donate well during the year and reduce our charity account, which stood at over £10K at the start of the year. Chris does a great job and gives away over £18,000, a record for the club, well we had done a great job raising money, so we have to give it away.
Mike Owers runs an opinion survey after I suggest it will take the sting out of complaints about the food at The Whipper. I also help shape a proposal that David Lovering & Shane present to the club, to form a new committee aimed at being more proactive about recruitment.
I am put in my place very swiftly when I question the defibrillator proposal outside the Bowls club, seems like a conflict of interest with Chris pushing it. Anyway we patch it up and I make a case to Chris over a coffee to ensure we donate well during the year and reduce our charity account, which stood at over £10K at the start of the year. Chris does a great job and gives away over £18,000, a record for the club, well we had done a great job raising money, so we have to give it away.
Mike Owers runs an opinion survey after I suggest it will take the sting out of complaints about the food at The Whipper. I also help shape a proposal that David Lovering & Shane present to the club, to form a new committee aimed at being more proactive about recruitment.
No comments:
Post a Comment