Friday, 4 July 2014

Wednesday 2nd July 2014: My first Wednesday as President and because we have nothing in the programme it's decided at the eleventh hour that we'll have a bring a guest evening. Two guests say they will come, one of whom, Peter Wilkinson I have chatted with in the Lord Nelson the previous Friday, explained all about Lions, and he's keen to come along.

Neither turn up, and I have empty seats next to me; I make light of it, but John Reid reminds me I haven't said Grace, I explain that the evening is informal, it's a buffet, but I decide we'll do both toasts. The planned resume by Mike O and Paul M is cancelled, but I run the slide show and it goes down well, as the performance with the gavel did at the beginning of the evening; nearly broke the table.

I thank Paul for his year as President, and thank Mike Saywood for his organisation of Charter Lunch, both get rounds of applause, I think I have snatched victory from the jaws of defeat.

I had decided to send personal invitations out to all members, a few ex-members and Bob's Widows; Mike C kindly distributes most of them for me, and they had only cost £3.50, better than the usual email. The invitations are for "An English Cream Tea", at Castle Cafe in September, my Meet the President event.

Most people seem pleased to welcome me as President, and several encourage me to enjoy my year, I aim to.

No comments:

Post a Comment