Thursday 14th August: Melton Mowbray Lions are looking to disburse some funds and contact Lorna and ask her to come as a guest and tell them all about Make-a-Wish. I go along as a her guest, but also as President of The Lions Club of Rutland.
I decide that I will not wear my chain of office, but consider that I could be that very rare animal, a travelling Rutland Lion. I am disabused of that idea as it transpires from a conversation with Peter Simpson, immediate Past-President of MM Lions, that I should have downloaded a form and got it signed by the current President, oh dear, let the side down again, or have I maintained a proud record of insularity.
Lorna's talk is perfect, albeit a little rushed as she is only given 15 minutes, enough time however for one gentleman to have to leave the room sobbing. It transpires that he lost a daughter aged 7 to cancer and has never been able to talk about it until explaining all to Lorna, wow!
I meet a few old names from Pedigree days, Derek Whitehouse, Dave Robb and Ben Baretto. Ben ensures that I win a raffle prize, a bird-box and peanuts; it is a scheme to take them around to elderly single folks and then return regularly with additional peanuts, but more importantly to spend time with them and have a chat, a great idea.
MM Lions big event are their Golf Day/auction, plus ???
No comments:
Post a Comment