Wednesday 5th November: Having made the decision not to travel to Ethiopia, naturally I'm available for our regular meeting at The Whipper. Charles informs me beforehand that Robin would like to make a statement, and that he has a Proclamation to make. Along with Adam Lowe's induction and a speaker from the LF&RS, it will be a busy night.
Robin's statement is basically that he has a lot of extra-curricular activities and would like to become a Lion at Large for the remainder of the Lion year, and then review what he wishes to do. He commits to events that he has already signed up for.
The Proclamation which is required to be brief, but impressive, and it certainly is. Apparently I have "successfully opened the door of Lionism" to at least two individuals, and I am thus awarded the Key button hole. It is brief, but party poppers make sure that it's also impressive.
The induction goes well, as it should as David, Charles & I liaise beforehand to ensure it does.
Our speaker is excellent, Ed Rogers, a fire-fighter from LF&RS, giving the talk/presentation he gives to 15-22 year olds concerning road safety in Leicestershire. he unveils some startling facts, such as one death every week, one life-changing injury every day, the most likely cause of death for a teenage girl is in an RTA where her boyfriend has been driving the car, and mobile phones/texting pose a greater safety threat than drink driving.........all great food for thought if you have a teenage daughter or granddaughter.
It's a good meeting, the food is fine, and everything goes according to plan, and Pail and I chew the fat in the Nelson afterwards.
No comments:
Post a Comment