Sunday, 26 October 2014

Friday 24th October: Robin's email arrives, copied to the rest of his committee ...and he couldn't even get my name right, wanker.

I choose to write privately, as befitting the president of such an esteemed organisation, when my heart is saying let him have both barrels via a return email.

MC replies to remind me and Paul that it's not my calendar proposal, but the Officers proposal, and that should be communicated sooner rather than later. I agree and pen a reply email, which currently sits in draft until the snail mail arrives.

My points are:

First and foremost, I am deeply disappointed that you feel the need to resign, not just from the Programme Committee, but from the club completely. I would have preferred the opportunity to discuss your concerns before reaching this stage.

Secondly, the "Shape of a Social Calendar" document, was not just my document, it was agreed by all of the club Officers that attended the Officers meeting before the last business meeting. Unfortunately you were on holiday and unable to attend either meeting. The document was deliberately not raised at the business meeting in deference to your absence, but circulated amongst Officers afterwards; you had plenty of opportunity to discuss it with me or any of the other Officers, you chose not to do so.

Thirdly, I am upset that you feel that the majority of the work of the Programme Committee falls on your shoulders, particularly at a time when you clearly had many other commitments outside of Lions. Even if you didn't want to discuss with me, could you not have discussed with any of them and obtained some help?

Lastly, you have been a conscientious and loyal member of the club, and I appreciate your support of the events you have already committed to, I just hope you will have a change of heart, certainly as far as leaving the club is concerned.

David Ford asks me is this will precipitate the combination of Programme & Social. I'm not actually convinced about this, it's not the combination, it's the committee system where only one or two do the work, while other just offer opinions, e.g.. Rob Wilkinson!!

The bigger question, is do we need everyone on a committee, I'm bloody sure I could do the Programme job by myself; I would just press gang club members for various visits and speakers.

We have an Officers meeting on November 3rd, so I'll wait and see what the consensus is.

No comments:

Post a Comment